Welcome to The General Theological Seminary!
Here is some information to assist you during your time as a General Learner:
- Book lists and syllabi for courses can be found at Course Resources
- If you would like to know about accommodations for a disability, you can find the Seminary’s disability policy and intake form on the Course Offerings & Registrar page.
- To learn more about our academic degree and certificate programs, see the Catalog.
Getting Around GTS
- The Seminary’s main entrance is located at 440 West 21st Street, between 9th Ave. and 10th Ave. To enter the gate, just press the call button, and the front desk staff will let you in.
- The campus map shows where the classroom, library, and administrative buildings are located.
- Please visit the library’s website for information on library hours, services, policies, resources, and staff.
Getting Around Chelsea and New York City
- Transportation between area airports and GTS
- Getting to GTS by subway:
- From the C or E (blue) lines: Stop at 23rd St./8th Ave. and walk 2 blocks south to 21st St. and 1½ blocks west. The Seminary’s main entrance is on the south side of W 21st St.
- From the 1 (red) line: Stop at 23rd St./7th Ave. (if coming from the north) and walk 2 blocks south to 21st St. and 2½ blocks west, or stop at 18th St./7th Ave. (if coming from the south) and walk 3 blocks north to 21st St. and 2½ blocks west to the Seminary’s main entrance.
- From PATH (New Jersey transit), or the F or M (orange) lines: Stop at 23rd St./6th Ave. and walk 2 blocks south to 21st St. and 3½ blocks west to the Seminary’s main entrance.
- Nearby bus lines:
- M11 goes north along 10th Ave. and south along 9th Ave., from 145th St. (north) to Bethune St. (south).
- M23 goes east and west along 23rd St., from Pier 63 at 12th Ave. (west) to Avenue C (east).
- M20 goes north along 8th Ave. and south along 7th Ave., from Lincoln Center/W 66th St. (north) to South Ferry/South St. (south).
- M12 goes north along 12th Ave. and south along 11th Ave., from W 57th/Columbus Circle (north) to Hudson St./W 14th St./Abingdon Square (south).
- M14A & M14D go east and west along 14th St., from West St. (west) to Avenues A & D, respectively (east).
- Off-campus Housing: GTS has compiled a list of nearby hotels and guest houses that you may consult if you need a place to stay while taking classes. The Seminary does not endorse any of these listings; the list is meant to be informative.
- On-campus Single-person Dorms: GTS has a limited number of furnished single-person dorm rooms available for students taking summer courses in the Trinity 2015 term. The standard rate for a room is $65/day. Full payment for your entire stay is due upon arrival, along with a security deposit of $790, which will be returned to you after your stay, pending all keys are returned and the room is left clean and undamaged. You must register and submit payment for a summer course before you can apply for on-campus housing.
- On-campus Sub-let Apartments: Students taking summer courses who want to bring partners, spouses, or children with them can apply to sub-let an apartment on campus from a current student in residence. The sub-let rate and terms are determined by the residential student.
- For more details about staying on campus, check out these links:
- If you want to sign up for the Seminary mailing list, please fill out this online form.
- In order to obtain a copy of your transcript, visit the Course Offerings & Registrar page to get a transcript request form.
- Questions? Please see Resources & FAQ.
Again, welcome! Our General Learners, like our matriculated students, add a variety of expertise and a common interest in learning about theology. They also happen to be studying in the greatest city in the world, on a gorgeous campus with a park inside of it. Here's the weather forecast for the next few days, and if you're looking for a place to eat lunch, you can try one of these restaurants or get a snack on the High Line, and then a view of the Statue of Liberty.
Enjoy your session at GTS!